Friday, July 8, 2011

Tis the season for farmer's markets

Farmer's Market season is in full swing. Our local one started last month and runs through the end of September. It's one evening a week at a local downtown park. I've been to all but one so far. I've picked up a flower basket, peppers, tomatoes, spinach, cucumbers, green tea, breads, cookies, garlic scapes (which I'd never had before) and other items. There's a lady there each week who sells homemade jellies and jams. I think I'll visit her next week.

I love getting all the fresh veggies, but I also adore the cheese and bread tents. I've gotten super sharp cheddar, Monterrey jack, a creamy one with dill (I think it was Havarti) and a horseradish jack, which was wonderful.

At the bread tent, I usually grab some fresh tomato focaccia and some pretzel rolls. I got there late and they were out of both, so I got some of the herb focaccia, which is also fantastic. Here's a look at what you'll find there:



Looks good, huh? When I was there last week I asked if they had a retail location. She told me that they come from Labriola Bakery and that they have a tea room, Tiffany's Tea Room, in Crown Point where the sell a lot of the baked items you can buy at the farmer's market. I'll have to pay the tea room a visit one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment