Less waste and less cupboard clutter feels good

I've always been one to stuff the cupboards and the freezer. It's always nice to have things on hand when you need them, but when you have too much stuff you just can't keep track of what you have. When I took time to clean out the pantry, I'd find long-expired items in the back that had to be thrown out. In the freezer, I'll dig to the back and find freezer-burned chunks that I couldn't identify. Keeping well-stocked was backfiring.

So, as the new year started I aimed at simplifying things and also trying to stick to a budget. Wanted to get rid of things and not keep more than is necessary. It is very freeing. I actually like when it gets close to shopping day and I can see bare space on the shelf. It forces me to be creative and use what is on hand. Before, I'd have my cabinets stuffed and sometimes have additional bags of non-perishables in the bottom of the pantry because there was no where to put them. I'm not letting myself get to that point anymore.

Also, I did stock up a lot because I'd gotten into the habit of only shopping every two weeks, with a couple mid-week runs for milk, bread or snacks. I'm finding that I'm better off going more often. That way I can get more fresh foods and not have to rely as much on the cans and boxes in the pantry.

I'm now forced to better plan menus to make sure we don't run out of things. I've got three days left until the next shopping trip. In my freezer is what I have planned for those three meals - salmon, bratwurst and a Schwan's chicken enchilada meal. There's not much else in there. Some frozen soup, a pack of ground beef, some frozen veggies, popsicles. Sometimes I still get a panicky feeling that I don't have enough on hand, but I really do. There's always pasta in the pantry as back-up and the makings for sandwiches and I make soup and or chili a couple times a week, so that's on hand.

It's also helping big time as far as waste goes. Even with seven people in this house, there's more waste than you'd expect. Well, techinically nothing "goes to waste" because we have a dog who is happy to consume whatever I'm thinking of tossing. Yesterday, I used the last of the potatoes in the bag. I can't remember the last time that happened. I always end up with a couple on the bottom that grow eyes and shrivel and get tossed in the garbage or compost heap. Because they were there and I knew they were there and I hadn't stocked up on frozen and boxed side dishes, I made more potatoes. Same with bread. We often end up with a few slices left in a loaf that don't get eaten. Not lately. Because I'm not buying cookies and ice cream like I used to, the kids have found that toast with Nutella is a new favorite snack and dessert. I also use up the bread to make French toast to leave in the fridge for breakfast or an afternoon snack.

Less really can be more, especially in the kitchen!

Comments