Yes, I'm a blueberry muffin cheater

Ok, I've admitted before on this blog that a lot of my baking is done from mixes. Not all of it, but when I don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen yet I want to whip up a treat,  I go for a box mix. I've found that Krusteaz and Aldi are decent mixes for blueberry muffins. But my trick to making them taste very homemade is frozen blueberries. I ditch the can that comes when the mix. When I have fresh, I throw them in, but each year in July our family picks about a dozen pounds and much of it gets stored in one cup increments in freezer bags for muffins. I take them out of the freezer about a half hour before they go in the oven, so they can soften a little, but not thaw entirely. When they go in the oven they pop open and expose a yummy juice. It's soooo good, especially if you grab a warm one right out of the oven.

Comments