Strawberry jam, take two

So, last week I posted on the strawberry jam I made that ended up being strawberry topping for our pancakes and ice cream. I gave it another try. This time, a little smaller batch -

2 cups strawberries, mashed with a potato masher
1 cup sugar
Juice of one large lemon

I started off same as last time and as the jam was cooking, I commented to my mother-in-law, who happened to stop by that there was so much juice. She suggested straining the strawberries, returning the juice to the pan and cooking it down a bit and then returning the strawberries to the pan. "You have to get rid of some of that syrup," she said. And I said, "Syrup? Yum! Why don't I just drain the liquid out and cook it down a little and it can be syrup for pancakes?" So, that's what I did. It was a two-for-one recipe. I ended up with a bowl of syrup that I'll put on pancakes for breakfast. I also got a jar of jam. Can't wait to try it out on some toast. Maybe for a snack tomorrow. 

Strawberry syrup.

Strawberry jam.

Comments