Pleasant House: Three Oaks, Michigan

I've written many times before about how much we love Three Oaks, Michigan. We also may spend
time in  New Buffalo and Sawyer and Galien and LaPorte and Buchanan when we head up that way, but we never miss stopping in Three Oaks. Sometimes it is to shop or hang out int he park or go to a movie, but most of the time, it is to eat (or drink.)


We were happy recently to finally try out Pleasant House in Three Oaks. Although there's been one in Chicago's Bridgeport neighborhood for some time, I had never been there. The Three Oaks location has been open a few months and I have been itching to go there. It had previously been a brewery, and although we head up once every four to six weeks, we never could seem to find the place open. When it re-opened as Pleasant House Restaurant and Brewing Company I was excited to see that the beer brewing would continue.

When we visited over Memorial Day weekend, I was happy to find Pleasant House open and busy. The family had already picked another place for dinner, so I ordered a couple things to go and tried them out at Dewey Cannon Park as the kids played.

Love the very British menu items and had a hard time picking out which royal pie to try. Ended up with the Steak & Ale Pie, which was fabulous. The crust was thick, yet very flaky.

I also got excited when I saw the Scotch Egg on the menu. It's my favorite thing on the menu at Three Floyds Brewery in Munster, IN. Love the crunchy fried sausage coating. Theirs is very soft-boiled version, which is a little different than the ones I've had in the past. I like my yolk with a harder boil and dark yellow center, so I passed it on to hubby as he loves his eggs that way. The outer layer of sausage that I tried was spectacular, though. I'll have to remember on the next visit to see if it's possible to order one hard boiled. It also came with some spicy coarse mustard, which was a great accompaniment.

Can't wait to make it back there sometime to try out additional menu items and give the beer a try. The interior is attractive and hip, yet has that elegant feel that can only come from a building that has survived for over a century.

There's also a shelf of goodies and gift items from jolly ol' England that you may want to purchase to bring on home. Plan to make a visit there if you're passing into Michigan on I-94. It's just a few miles off the expressway and well worth the detour.





Comments